Records of the Office of Planning, Design and Construction, circa 1870 - 2005Manuscript DA-643


The Office of Facilities Planning was established in 1978 to oversee general campus development as well as projects relating to specific buildings and properties. Prior to this, there were several standing and ad hoc committee charged with overseeing development of the physical plant. Gordon Dewitt, the first director of Facilities Planning, had previous been in the Office of the Business Manager which had responsibility for some elements of campus planning and construction, as well as maintenance of College facilities and properties. In 1985 the College Architect, George Hathorn, who had formerly been part of Department of Buildings and Grounds, joined the office and in 1987 the office became Facilities Planning and Architectural Services, and later the Office of Facilities Planning, Design and Construction. Currently, as of 2014, the Office of Planning and Design and the Office of Project Management are part of the Campus Planning and Facilities division.

Finding Aids