Guide to the Campions Store Records, 1910 - 1988Manuscript MS-1191

Introduction

James Campion, Inc. was founded in Hanover in 1906, by James Campion, Sr. Until the 1950's its function was primarily in men's apparel; its motto was "Not Just a haberdashery, a Dartmouth tradition". James Campion's son Jim took over the business in 1926, and managed it until his death in 1968. In the 1950's the Campions opened a Ladies' department which became a growing portion of its merchandise selection, eventually becoming the main business. Campions went out of business in 1991. In 1993, part of the family that owned the business decided to open a new clothing store focusing on higher-end fashion for women. This second iteration closed in 2010.

Finding Aids