Shelburne Lead Mining Company records, 1846 - 1854Manuscript MS-1269

Full Finding Aid

Title:

Shelburne Lead Mining Company records, 1846 - 1854

Call Number:

Manuscript MS-1269

Collection Dates:

1846 - 1854

Size of Collection:

I box (1.5 linear ft.)

Abstract:

Shelburne Lead Mining Company. Opened in 1846 in Shelburne, NH.

Access to Collection:

Unrestricted.

Use & Access

The materials represented in this guide may be accessed through the Rauner Special Collections Library at Dartmouth College. Rauner Library is located in Webster Hall. The materials must be used on-site and may not leave Rauner Library.

Rauner Special Collections Library is open to the public and in most cases no appointment is necessary. The exception is in the case of materials stored off site for which there may be a delay of up to 48 hours in retrieval. Please consult the Access to Collection statement below or contact Rauner Reference.

Access to Collection

Unrestricted.

Use Restrictions

Permission from Dartmouth College required for publication or reproduction.

Introduction to the Collection

The records of the Shelburne Lead Mining Company, Shelburne, NH, contain minutes of a stockholder meeting and a report on stockholder meetings.

Introduction

The Shelburne lead mine was built after Amos Peabody discovered lead ore near the banks of the Great Brook (a small tributary to the Androscoggin River and later renamed Lead Brook) in 1820. However, it took another twenty five years before New York capitalists became interested enough to investigate. A rich deposit of lead was found and the mine opened in the fall of 1846. Two shafts were sunk in the bed of the brook, and a tunnel projected thirty-five feet into the hillside. An engine pumped air into the shaft and water out of it, but the ore was hauled up by horses attached to a whimsey. A large framed building, known as the wash-house, was erected. At the wash-house the ore was crushed, sifted, washed and smelted and the led run into bars about two feet long. In 1849, the mine was abandoned because it was not profitable, but in 1856 it was opened up again and mined until the 1880s.

Series, Box & Folder List

Series 1, Records, 1846-1854

Access Restrictions

Unrestricted.

Box: 1, Dates: 1846-1854

Access Restrictions

Unrestricted.

Box Contents

  • Folder: 1, Minutes of Stockholder Meeting, 1846
  • Folder: 2, Report on Stockholder Meetings, 1854

Finding Aids