White River Falls Bridge Company records, 1794 - 1864Manuscript MS-1287

Institutional History

The White River Falls Bridge Company was incorporated in New Hampshire in 1792 with the purpose of building bridges and to supply a safer passage for river boats on the Connecticut. The original proprietors included Ebeneazer Brewster, Aaron Hutchinson and Rufus Graves. In 1794, an amendment was added and in 1795, the company was also chartered in Vermont. The first bridge built by the company was the Ledyard Bridge which connected Hanover, NH to Norwich, VT over the Connecticut River.

Finding Aids