William N. Chambers began his career at Dartmouth Medical School in 1946 as a teaching fellow in medicine. He received his undergraduate degree from Amherst College in 1936, and his M.D. from Cornell College of Medicine in 1941. Chambers also served in the United States Army Medical Corps for three years, rising from first lieutenant to major and receiving the Bronze Star. At DMS, Chambers rose to the rank of Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, which was bestowed on him in 1969. He died on January 25, 1970.